Dockside Power, Inc. was established to provide the ultimate solution to the marine power requirements of marinas and homes. With over 40 years of experience in marine power, we custom design any dock box or marine power pedestal unique to your needs. All products are manufactured at our Hollywood, FL location.
Each dock box and pedestal is designed to be a reliable, compact combination of power, metering, and communication in one unit. The superior appearance provides functionality and long lasting appeal. Years of experience have allowed us to design and manufacture the highest quality dock box and pedestal available.
Power Your Marina With Our Power Pedestals, Energy Management Systems, and More
A Brief Guide To Marine Power
One of the key elements of a rental dock is the available power. Boats of all sizes require access to electricity in order to do everything from charging batteries to running air conditioners. This is due to the fact that each boat necessitates a specific amount of electricity, so it is important to accurately report power details. In order to understand the type of power that is available at your dock, it is important to understand what the options are. Generally, electrical outlets range from 15-100 amps. A standard household plug is 15-20 amps, while the plug for your washer and dryer is probably 30 amps. Typically nothing larger than 30 amps is found in a US home. However,on boat docks, 50 and 100 amp plugs are common to support larger boats with greater power needs. Electricity requirements for boats vary by make, model, and user activity, Even though there isn’t a standard for electricity requirements by boat (or dock) size, the following are broad guidelines for power needs depending on boat size:
- Less than 32ft: 15-20 amp (household outlet), mostly for charging batteries or running air conditioners
- 32ft to 45ft: 30 amp
- 45ft to 65ft: 50 amp
- 65ft and up: 100 amp
Power Pedestals are the little towers that boats were hooking up to. Power pedestals come in all different shapes and sizes, like single plugs. In order to figure out what types of plugs your pedestal holds, take a peek at the circuit breaker or plaque. Both of these should have the amperage and voltage for all plugs contained on the pedestal. If they do not, check out the plugs themselves. You should see the electrical configuration of that plug in small letters etched into the plug. Pedestals can raise the value of any marina dock due to the convenience and safety that they offer when it comes to electricity. They typically have a number of different plugs that are all located on one convenient tower so that any boat can easily dock. Call Dockside Power in Hollywood today for your marine electricity needs!
Benefits of Shore Power Systems & Some FAQs
For any ship, the engine is one of the most expensive parts. Keeping a diesel engine maintained and ready for use constitutes a significant expense, as every hour that the engine runs reduces the life of the engine. Not only does it cost money in fuels, but maintenance costs are involved to keep the engine running. A marine shore power system can reduce the overall expense of maintaining an engine, while enjoying the benefits of powering all of the amenities and equipment onboard. Here are some frequently asked questions about shore power systems we receive:
How does shore power work?
What voltage is shore power?
Why is it called shore power?
Is shore power AC or DC?
Will shore power charge batteries?
How do I connect to shore power?
Home Use Power Pedestal:
What to look for:
- Design: Does the pedestal look aesthetically pleasing?
- Durability: What materials are the pedestal made off?
- Functionality: Does the pedestal offer what you need in terms of volts/amps?
- Accessibility: Is the inside of the pedestal easily accessible for repair?
- Longevity: What is the life of the pedestal being offered?
Energy Management System:
- Energy usage reduced when the slips are not occupied.
- Real time remote monitoring of power usage and parameters.
- Logging and reporting of marina power data.
- Decrease in operating costs.
- Effective transfer of energy parameters into point of sale system.
- Hubbell Marine Receptacles
- Square D Breakers
- Electric Meter Replacement Parts
- Photo Cells
- Powder Coated Hose Holders
A New Generation of Technology
Dockside Power has developed a data monitoring system that
enables the dock master to remotely monitor the energy data of every slip.
Adapting to Change
Large Marinas and Boatyards across South Florida and the Caribbean are finding that as yachts increase in size, they need to make the necessary power upgrades to remain up-to-date. Marina Bay in Fort Lauderdale, FL and Viking Service Yard in Riviera Beach, FL are current clients using up-to-date Dockside shore power systems and dock boxes in South Florida. Profitability is tied to remaining up-to-date and investing in durable leading edge shore power systems. Let us give you a competitive quote for your next upgrade project.
VIKING SERVICE YARD
The Dockside Power Advantage
At Dockside Power, Inc., we take pride in our customer service and satisfaction. With our high-quality dock boxes and power pedestals, we are sure to outrank any of our competitors.
- Our equipment is built using .125” (1/8”) thick 5052h32 aluminum, which is stronger, lighter, and more than twice the thickness than most of our competitors.
- All of our units are welded rather than riveted to minimize any galvanic corrosion within the unit.
- All of our units are powder coated inside and out; helps avoid corrosion from the inside out.
- All of our pedestal’s edges are rounded off. Paint tends to start to chip where
90 degreeangles exist because that is where the paint is its thinnest. By rounding off our edges, we avoid this tendency.
- We use a copper grade anti-seize on all of our screws, bolts
andnuts. This compound lets us tighten all of our electrical connections better as well as serves as a lubricant for running screws in and out over time. The compound is also copper-based, so it serves as a better electrical conductor.
- Our receptacles are all recessed to a 45 degree angle. This avoids direct exposure to sunlight, rain, and the unqualified golf cart driver who backs into pedestals on a regular basis.
- We use nylon washers wherever there is a difference of metals that can come into contact. This avoids corrosion.
- Finally, and of great importance, the entire front cover of our pedestal comes off with 6 screws. This allows for easy access to all the components in our pedestal. This lengthens the life of our pedestals simply because they are easily accessible and repairable.
Our Latest Posts
How To Avoid Shore Power Problems
Picture this situation. You’re finally docked up at the marina, it’s late, you’re tired, and the marina asks if a 50-amp receptacle would be okay since it’s all they have available. You have a 50-amp adapter onboard so you accept. You pull into the assigned slip, take...
Upgrade Your Marine Electricity With Marine Power Pedestals
There are many reasons to consider adding a new marina power pedestal to your dock. There are a lot of things to consider because although there will be initially money that needs to be spent, it will be worth it in the long run for your marina as a whole. The team of...
Tips to Ensure Your Dock is Safe This Season
Boating aficionados know how important it is to keep the utilities of a marina in top shape, like a well-oiled machine. Each piece accomplishes an essential role in maintaining the safety and regular operability of the installations, preserving a secure environment...
We Would Love to Work With You
Contact Us Now
At Dockside power inc. we have been serving marina owners and yacht owners for decades. We take pride in the superior products we offer and customer service.
When you come to us for all of your marine pedestal and energy management needs, you are working with a company that truly has the experience to give you the best results possible. Reach out to us today, and let’s get to work.